Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Love, Life and God’s timing


I was blessed to be able to celebrate my 7th wedding anniversary with the love of my life this week. God truly blessed me with an amazing husband. 

On the way back from Youth Alive my husband and I were chatting with some of our young ladies about love and life. The girls had decided to make a list of everything that they wanted in a potential husband. The list had everything that we both expected, that the person would love God with all their heart etc. etc. What I found most interesting was none of the girls were really sure how long it would take to make sure “Mr. Perfect” matched their listed criteria. 

Let’s be honest folks, there is a perception in Pentecost that if you’re not married by the time you’re 24 you’re an old maid. How horrifying (an untrue) is that! Why would we want to rush into a relationship that we’ll be in for the rest of our lives and will have a huge impact on our salvation? Take your time.

Some of you know my testimony. My husband and I started dating in high school and had been dating for 5 years before we got into church. We knew we cared for one another but it would have been a horrible mistake for us to get married any earlier then we did. God was still working on us.

The first year we “took a break” and decided to focus on God was one of the hardest times of my life. I will spare you the details but I was in a fairly sad state.  That time apart was the best thing that could have ever happened to either one of us. It allowed us to figure out that we wanted to live for God as individuals not because the other person was doing it.  After many months of struggling I made up in my mind that as much as it hurt if we were not meant to be I wasn’t going to fight it anymore.  I can take you to the spot where I was standing when I told God “I give up, I’ll accept your will no matter how much it hurts”. That very evening everything changed! From that night on we started talking again, eventually courting and finally engaged.  I don’t think it could have changed until my will had been broken.  It was simply God’s time. Lord only knows the trials we were spared from because we didn’t get married right away.

Bro. Wayne Lawhorn preached an amazing message called “Missing God in Marriage” (I highly recommend it for any single person). In the message he made a statement that really resonated with both my husband and I, he said “lust is instant desire, but love is a friendship caught on fire”.  So true.

It’s alright to take your time in getting to know someone. You’ll have the rest of your life to enjoy the blessings of God if you can stay in step with God’s timing. 

A very happy wife,

Siena

P.S. I know I’ve done more rambling then posting of flowers lately. Yes, I am still sewing and hope to have more photos up soon.

I love you Bryan!


6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Sister Sienna! I really appreciated what you shared here. Thanks for encouraging young folk to take their time in a relationship and seek God's will. Good advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I don't know how I stumbled across your blog, it's kind of funny how you can get to know people you've never seen or met, via blog! Needless to say, I have enjoyed reading the posts, this one especially! I wanted to ask, how I could track down that message you recommended?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone!

    @ Brittany ~Hello and thanks for the comment! I checked out your blog and it looks like you just celebrated an anniversary yourself. Happy Anniversary! I think my husband has a copy of the message at home. We're out of town at the moment but I can certainly check tomorrow. If so I'd be happy to make you a copy of it. I can either mail it to you or if you attend West Coast Conference in November I can give it to you then. Take care!

    Siena

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do attend West Coast. We can set something up and meet there! Sounds good! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete