Monday, April 25, 2011

Dear God, I'm tired!

Hello All,

I hope everyone had a great resurrection weekend!

Its been a while since I took a moment to ramble on my thoughts of the day in the blog-o-sphere but I feel like I need to do it today. As I find myself trying to get back into the swing of things after a month of activity after activity I realize I'm pooped.

Though I'd love to say all the visitors we had in our alters making a commitment to God over the weekend was enough to recharge my batteries at the moment I can't say that, all I can say is I need a nap.

I think as Pentecostals we are afraid to admit when we're tired, which in my humble opinion can be dangerous. I live in the Bay Area, work a 40+ hour a week job which requires that I travel quite a bit, my husband is the Youth Pastor at our church so we have an activity every Friday night, I teach Sunday School to junior highers, attempt to maintain my flowers as a side business, I still need to make sure my husband and I share quality time and I am leaving out all the day to day stuff that cannot be ignored. (I would rather have my wisdom teeth pulled again then deal with my husband on a Sunday morning when he realizes he doesn't have a clean white shirt, all the wives can say amen to that).

I don't mention all of the above in any way looking for pity, I know many of you out there keep this type of schedule and more. However, I do totally feel that every now and again we take inventory of our lives so we don't suffer from burnout.

Nobody wants to be the whiny saint and I certainly do not promote pity parties but I do think its important to recognize when you're running on "autopilot" because when you do God is not getting the best out of you.  I remember kneeling to pray one evening, being so tired that I just didn't feel like I could really connect with God and ended up crying my way through prayer telling God "I'm exhausted".

You may ask "was God pleased with that?", I don't know but at the time it was all I could manage. Since then I have done my best to better manage my time. Have I succeeded? Not fully but at least I am more aware of what I devote my energy to. I try to incorporate into my prayers that God helps me not to become overwhelmed with life and the things that I can't change. Until someone buys me that winning mega millions lotto ticket I have to work. :-)

What are the things I CAN change?  A huge part of the "Pentecostal lifestyle" is fellowship but can fellowship actually hinder our walks with God? Some of my groggiest, grumpiest Sunday mornings are after a late evening in San Francisco with other precious saints of God. Did I really  need to hang out with friends until the wee hours of the morning getting ice cream? Probably not (and my waistline seconds the motion!)

Where I devote my time and energy has really been on my mind a lot lately. I want to do more for God and I don't want to be so tired that it feels like its a chore when I'm doing it.God help me not to spend time and energy on the things that do not matter.

Siena

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sister Siena! Sounds like your weekend was like mine...and the last few months. I appreciate what you wrote here today. I couldn't agree with you more. Today I just had to take a down day and a nap was included.
    May you find rest in Him and like me a way to bring more balance into my life.

    Glad your Easter was great. Ours was incredible.

    God Bless,

    Sis Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sis Eva!

    Thank you for your kind words. I know you all must be exhausted, hosting a youth service and anniversary service is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete